Thursday, September 17, 2015

Many routes for the Discovery Bay East Trail will work.

Here's a map showing a DBET feasibility-study corridor and four possible routes that would bypass that tough stretch of SR20 over Eaglemount: 



You can view an electronic copy of this Map at http://arcg.is/1KsIgpg

The kidney-shaped shaded area on the Map is the feasibility-study corridor that Jeff Selby and I have discussed with the City, JPUD, and State Parks, and that I have sent to WSDOT and Pope Resources. This is the area that we will ask the County to use for a feasibility study on its 2016 TIP.

The four route examples on the Map, from left to right, are:  

(1) SR20 / Fairmount -- shown with a dotted line alongside those roads.  (I'm colorblind and Dorothy is not here to help me with colors. I'll amend this post when I know what color the lines are.)  This route would be on the SR20 and Fairmount Road rights-of-way from Four Corners to Snow Creek.  Because of many extreme drop-offs on the west (downhill) side of the SR20 right-of-way over Eaglemount, I think the trail would have to run along the east (uphill) side of the highway.  I'm no engineer, but it looks to me like it would require a massive engineering project to hang a trail on the Discovery Bay side of SR20 between Anderson Lake Road and Eaglemount Road.

(2)  Anderson Lake / Fairmount -- shown with a dash-dot-dash line.  This route would cross the Jefferson Public Utility District property on Four Corners Road; run on the perimeter of Pope Resources' north section; cross Anderson Lake State Park; traverse Pope Resources' property south of Anderson Lake Road, running briefly next to the City waterline maintenance road; and then drop down to the SR20 and Fairmount Road rights-of way. 

(3)  Anderson Lake / Waterline / South Plateau -- shown with a dotdot-dash line. This route would start on JPUD's property; cut diagonally across Pope Resources' northern section; follow the City waterline up Sunset Lake Road and down Grouse Lane; cross Eaglemount Road to Pope Resources' south plateau; and connect via an existing switchback road to the SR20 and  Fairmount Road rights-of-way.  

(4)  Delanty Lake / Moa Hill -- shown with a dashed line that I'm pretty sure is red. This route would skirt Pope Resources' north section; cross Anderson Lake State Park; cross the DNR section south of Anderson Lake; run south on Pope Resources property past Delanty Lake and across Eaglemount Road; then north on Lucille M. Brown Trust property to Moa Hill. I haven't yet been in touch with anyone representing the LMBT.  

I included only these four routes on the Map because five is too many, and four is enough to show there are lots of ways to get there. 

A few more comments regarding the Map:
  • I haven't (yet) included a legend on the Map because I can't find a way to create one.  I use a Mac, which isn't "supported" by ArcGIS.  Maybe that's the problem, or maybe there's a tool somewhere on the ArcGIS website which I haven't found, despite my internet research.  Dunno.  If anyone can help me, I'm asking.
  • I believe that there are at least 10 routes, and many additional combinations/variations of those routes, within the feasibility-study corridor.  The four routes on the Map are only a few examples of possible routes.
  • I included Gibbs Lake State Park in the study corridor because one of the stakeholders thought there was interest in connecting the ODT to Gibbs Lake.  I’ve also included Lind Road to the south because I can imagine ways to use that road to complete the link; and West Uncas Road because the PNT may use a parts of that road to access Olympic National Park. 
  • I have not yet been to the City’s waterworks near City Lake, so I’ve drawn possible routes based only on map data, satellite photos, and oral descriptions.  The routes proximate to the City Lake waterworks are only guesses about what might work.  Obviously a professional study will do much better.  
  • I have bushwhacked large parts of the hill/bluff/cliff above SR20  -- but not all of it.  In particular I have not walked the right-of-way section just below the City Lake waterworks so, again, at this point I’m just guessing it might work.

Presumably, all of these possible routes together with all of the other feasible routes will be the subject of a feasibility study by the County – assuming that this gets on the County’s TIP.  

We're only five days from September 22nd -- the date by which Public Works wanted information to justify including the DBET on the Public Works draft of the 2016 TIP.  At this point I think we can satisfy Public Works that there are feasible bypass routes. And I hope and expect that by the 22nd we can provide letters from the five major stakeholders (other than the County) -- Pope Resources, Jefferson PUD #1, Anderson Lake State Park, the City of Port Townsend and WSDOT -- expressing support for this link in the Olympic Discovery Trail; support for a feasibility study to be included on the County's TIP; and a willingness to participate in negotiations with the other stakeholders to try to come up with an agreed route, parts of which might cross their properties.  We'll see.

There are still five years, 343 days to go (I counted wrong in my last post), which seems like a lot of time but there's lots to do to get this done on time.  Let me know if you want to help.  


No comments:

Post a Comment